Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Was today a complete flop?

So yesterday I woke at 10 am after getting home at 2am and falling asleep later than that.  Tired, I decided it would be a Library day.  The girls enjoy the library where they pick out books and videos for the next week.  After that, they play at the little park right outside the library. 

A comfortable spot to read.  She's never tried to read at the library...so this was a welcomed first!

Following her sister's lead at the Library

Today, I thought we'd have another smooth, successful 'school' day.  I was wrong.  This week, M is learning the letter B and some numbers, where K is learning her numbers. K has 1-10 mastered, but she's struggling with 11-20. 
This was day 2 reviewing the double digits with K.  She became quickly frustrated while working on a worksheet and so we pulled out the flashcards.  She wanted nothing do with these as well. 

M was also struggling with her numbers.  Instead of a 1-10 activity which I knew would be overwhelming, I started with 1-4. Fifteen minutes in, she still could not properly identify the number 1-4, though she could count different items 1-4.  I pulled out the flashcards for her as well.

5 minutes into the flashcards, they were uninterested and the morning was turning into a power struggle.  I completely lost them when it was time to feed the baby and so we moved on to the pattern block puzzles which took them 10 minutes.  I then read them a few library books and it was lunch time.  After lunch, I had them watch the Numbers Ahoy video which is by Leapfrog which they enjoyed.  I found the video at the Library yesterday.  God's providence knowing I would need some number assistance today.  It's neat to see that He even provides for our small needs- as well as the big ones...like my sanity.

So maybe it wasn't a complete flop.  I'm learning to go with the flow and tune in to their frustrations and learning styles.  I guess I'll try again with the numbers on our next "school" day....which will be next Monday.

1 comment: